Friday, June 28, 2013

Poppin' Off- Man of Steel and Justice League at Target

This week's Poppin' Off is a Two-Fer! Man Of Steel and the Justice League summer collection at Target.

First up is the Justice League summer collection. I have a Target shopping problem to begin with- I should own stock in Target, that's how much I spend there. So when I saw all the mega cute Justice League items....I really had to exercise self control. I love, love, love all the star prints (I have a thing for stars). I bought the over-sized picnic blanket in the black and white star print, the bistro table in the blue star print, the Batman gardening gloves for my son, the gardening tool sets for both my kids (blue and red stars for my son, pink and purple stars for my daughter), and the kids ground umbrella in blue with red stars for all our outdoor adventures. I also bought the friendship bracelet kit that has Wonder Woman charms and the color-your-own tote bag with the Justice League members on it. There are still so many things I'd like to buy! But their inventories are dwindling, so I can't help but think that it will be gone soon (they start putting out school supplies in the seasonal section around mid July so...). What do you think of the Justice League Collection?



*There are no intentional spoilers here. But if even vague overviews ruin things for you, do not continue reading*

Superman movies always get a bum rap. Fans and critics alike seem to have a love/hate relationship with them and its usually more hate than love. To be completely honest, I don't think I've ever seen a Superman movie aside from Man of Steel. My introduction to Superman came in the form of Dean Cain playing him in Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman on teevee with Teri Hatcher teetering after him as a ditzy Lois Lane, so my expectations weren't set particularly high. Shame on me. Man of Steel was outstanding. Its also a great movie to see if you're not to familiar with Superman's back story- a lot of it was explained.

Critics had a lot of negative things to say about it- Christopher Nolan should've been allowed to do more (not necessarily a negative, but the movie was made well as is), there were too many flashbacks and there were too many religious references. I found that the flashbacks to be cohesive with the story line. Whenever he had a flashback, the transition was seamless and the flashbacks really help you connect with this Superman- to see where hes been and what hes been through. The religious references are there- there's no denying it. But even the most hardened Atheist could view them as parental sacrifice and morality struggles instead of religious references if they wanted, and I don't see why someone would take those few references and pan a whole movie for it.

All in all, it was a very good movie. And Henry Cavill is a very sexy Superman. Go check it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!