Friday, July 4, 2014

Poppin' Off- Girl Meets World


Last Friday was the series premiere for the Disney Channel's Girl Meets World. I went back and forth about wanting to watch it. I loved Boy Meets World, and I worried that this show would ruin it with the horrible cheesiness and overacting that comes with Disney's programming these days. So I set my DVR to record it, and waited until that Saturday to watch it. 


It didn't disappoint me. I felt so excited to see Cory and Topanga together again, although I felt very old. The Daily Beast did a really good article about why BMW fans would hate GMW (read it here). It basically states that we wanted this so badly, but its not meant for us, and for that, we will shun it. Isn't that so true of so many shows we've seen end, only to be brought back and then cancelled because its not the same? I had to take that into consideration while watching GMW. I am not the Disney Channel's target audience, so the show isn't going to be scripted for me. There were times where the show came off cheesy, and there were times where it touched on my sentimental heart strings (Mr. Feeny in the subway anyone?). But if I were twelve years old, I would have loved it all (even if I wouldn't have understood that Mr. Feeny reference). My son was excited to see the show as well. He's eight, and he watches Boy Meets World reruns with me sometimes. He was happy to see Cory and Topanga again, and the kid stuff was something that he could relate to. 

Boy Meets World was a lot of things to me. It was wholesome, because teevee still was (for the most part) back then. The life lessons in BMW were abundant, and the cast felt like long lost relatives. What they went through, I could relate to. Girl Meets World won't be that for me, but it might be for my children. 

I will continue watching GMW. I can't wait for the return of Minkus, and other friends from the past. And I hope that the show will become something like Boy Meets World for this generation, it certainly has the potential. 

I will leave you with one of my favorite Mr. Feeny quotes, because even though it was said about seventeen years ago, its still relevant.



Girl Meets World airs on Fridays on the Disney Channel. Check your local listings for times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!