Friday, March 20, 2015

Five Fandom Friday- Comfort Movies


Its been a while since I've done a FF, but this one was one I just couldn't pass up! I have a lot of favorite movies, but there are just a handful that I will always watch no matter what. Same for teevee shows. So I decided to add my five comfort teevee shows too :) Here they are, in no particular order:

Movie: Clueless I can remember when all of the clothing styles in this movie were cool and all my friends had those ugly furry mini backpacks. And 'whatever' still remains a staple in my vocabulary to this day, just without the W hand gesture. Clueless is a permanent fixture in my Netflix queue, even though I own it :) 

Teevee Show: True Life Oh MTV. There are so many great things you've done that have nothing to do with music. True Life is one of those things. I love seeing how other people deal with things. Sometimes I can relate to the topics, sometimes I can't, but that's what makes it interesting. I especially enjoy the ones that focus on weight and relationships. When I'm having a blah day, its nice to see other people having blah days too. Misery loves company you know.

Movie: Mean Girls You guys know how much I love Mean Girls. I don't know what it is about that movie...Maybe because its pretty darn realistic? I think we all know a Regina George. And its just so freaking funny. I watch this whenever I need to get stuff done and want some background noise. Its a movie I don't feel bad walking away from for a few minutes, because I know what's going on. I also watch it when I need to cheer up, or am feeling bored, or....

Teevee Show: Made. Another MTV gem, this one is for when I need cheering up. I love how they all start as underdogs, then usually come out on top. In the early days, when someone wanted to be Homecoming Queen or whatever, they usually won. And I wondered if that happened just because MTV was there. Other people must have wondered as well, because in the last few seasons that I watched, all the sudden, people stopped winning. The show was still fun to watch, because watching people realize their own potential is a really neat thing, but at the same time, it seemed like the kids on the show weren't reaping all the same benefits that former participants did (the win, the date, etc). Is this show still going? I read on MTV's site that it moved to college students, but I've never seen an episode of that air. 

Movie: Pitch Perfect I didn't expect to love this movie as much as I do. I went to see this movie alone, because nobody wanted to see it with me. I loved every second of it (except the barf scenes, I can't stand when people vomit, its weird). Anna Kendrick is so sassy, and Skylar Astin is just so cute! I will drop everything to watch this movie, no exceptions. I hate that I don't have HBO, because they play this a lot, and Showtime doesn't (and I have Showtime). I've listened to this soundtrack so much that my kids can sing it lol. And I am so excited for Pitch Perfect 2! If it sucks, I will be devastated.

Teevee Show: The Fresh Prince of Bel Air In West Philadelphia, born and raised.....just kidding, I won't type the whole theme song for you, but I do know it! Being the nostalgic nerd that I am, I have a soft spot for teevee shows from my childhood. This is one of them. Geoffrey was one of my favorite characters, because he was so sarcastic. And who didn't love Carlton and that famous dance!? Every once in a while, the show got serious, but it was never done in a vulgar or alienating way, and that's something that I think today's entertainment industry can learn from. 


Movie: The Breakfast Club/Pretty in Pink/Sixteen Candles These movies are together because I usually can't watch one without the others. John Hughes was a mastermind as far teen movies are concerned. There probably wouldn't even be the teen movie genre as we know it without him. And Molly Ringwald was the 80's It Girl as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter if she was the girl from the wrong side of the tracks (literally) or the rich girl, her clothes were always fabulous (I even did a Casual Costume based on Andie. The admiration is real). And those soundtracks....you couldn't be more 80's if you tried. Love it! 

Teevee Show: Sex and the City I didn't get to watch this show too much when it was actually on the air (that whole no HBO thing), but every once in a while, we'd get a free weekend of HBO from our provider in hopes that we'd upgrade. WE never did, but I would use that time to watch SATC. I ended up buying the whole series on DVD, and I like to binge watch a season (or three) when I'm feeling really lonely. Even though its been reported that off screen, the ladies didn't get along, on screen they were like the best group of friends you could ever want (I guess they really are good actors!). I still hope to someday have that kind of inner circle, but until that happens, I'll happily transport myself into Carrie Bradshaw's Manhattan. 

Movie: The Twilight Saga Don't laugh (okay, you totally can), but I like the movies a lot more than the books. And I really like to watch the movies in the summer, when I'm really hating our over 100 degree weather and wishing it was winter. The Twilight movies just have that perma-winter feel to them, and I love them for that. They make me feel cooler, just for a little while. 

Decode by Paramore
from the Twilight soundtrack

Teevee Show: What Not to Wear Even though this show is gone, I have some on my DVR, and TLC is nice enough to rerun it occasionally :) Stacy and Clinton are my favorites, and much like Made, I like seeing people's transformations. Towards the end, they started doing celebrity makeovers, which I thought was kinda lame since celebrities already have access to personal stylists and money (each WNTW participant received $5000 to shop for a new wardrobe), but I guess they were trying to change it up. My husband used to tell me that he was going to nominate me for the show, but thankfully that never happened lol. I loved watching it, but I would be embarrassed to be on it.  


This girl was so annoying! But fabulous!

Thanks again to Megan and Kristin for coming up with these fabulous Fandom Friday topics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!