Friday, July 31, 2015

Poppin' Off- Netflix Picks #2

Netflix and I have still been copious amounts of time together, so I thought I'd share some more of what I've been watching lately :) And there might be spoilers. I don't know, I try to describe things without giving too much away...

Knights of Sidonia
This anime follows Nagate Tanikaze from his journey as an under-dwelller to top pilot. Sidonia is a ship, but it looks like a planet and they are fighting an alien being called a Gauna. Its a pretty involved plot, as most animes are, and based off a manga. There are hermaphrodites, a bear that's a cook, and all kinds of cool science-y things. Apparently episodes are still currently airing in Japan, while Netflix only has two seasons available. This article on Forbes sums up KoS quite nicely.

Sword Art Online
Sword Art Online is the first anime I seriously sat down and watched. It has a very WoW element to it, which I think is why I was drawn to it. The virtual reality aspect to it really isn't too far off, which is another draw. Not all of SAO is on Netflix, my husband and I had to continue our watching of it on Hulu and then Crunchyroll, but there is a good amount to start with. The premise is that everyone logs into the game one day, and finds out that they are trapped in it. The only way to escape the game is to reach the 100th floor and defeat the final boss. If you die in the game, you die in real life, thanks to the VR set up. Kirito, the main guy, was a beta tester, so he navigates the game fairly well. The problem is, he tries to go it alone, as beta testers are considered cheaters, and have targets on their backs. Along the way, Kirito does pick up a few friends, including Asuna, who becomes much more (but that's for another story arc). This one is a lot of fun if you like playing games like WoW or any MMORPG. 

Attack on Titan
So I'm a little late to the AoT party, but this one is really good! I mean, once you get past those horrible Titan faces! Like seriously, could they have made those any creeper? I definitely understand why so many people cosplay this now, its pretty amazing. I really love Eren and Mikasa together (I've only watched what's available on Netflix, so if something horrible happens to them, I don't want to know!!), so I hope they get to continue being in each other's lives. So for this one, there are Titans, big creepy people that run around killing people and destroying cities and then the non Titan people learn that some of their own can transform into these creepy people and fight them. Eren (our main dude), can transform into a Titan, and it is weird. I need to read the manga or find more episodes or something because I want to know more!! 

What have you been watching on Netflix? Let me know in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Attack on Titan is my first anime ever. I love it and I am confused by it lol. I wish they would hurry up with the next season too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so weird, and the titans are so creepy! But I like it :) So far I haven't watched an anime I haven't liked, but my viewing has pretty much been limited to the ones I listed above lol. There are so many, I didn't even really know where to start. Luckily my husband did,he's been watching them since like high school, and he's the one that picked all of the ones I've watched so far.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!