Friday, August 15, 2014

Poppin' Off- Summer Movies Vol. 2

Happy Friday! I've had the opportunity to go to the movies a few more times this summer, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on these summer movies. There will probably be spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Lucy-



Lucy stars Scarlett Johansson, Morgan Freeman and some other guys you probably don't care about. The premise is an interesting one- a drug that can open the human mind to its full potential. What wasn't interesting? Pretty much the entire movie. It was a lot of Scarlett Johansson regurgitating her role as Black Widow, minus the rest of the Avengers and with the facial expressions of Kristen Stewart in any Twilight movie. Morgan Freeman seemed to make the movie lag on more than it did already, someone probably should have played his role as a professor (who is coincidentally giving a lecture about what could happen if humans had the capacity to use their whole brain. hmm....). To me, the movie wasn't worth the movie theater expense, its much more a Redbox rental.

Guardians of the Galaxy-



This movie was amazing!!!! (More exclamation points!!!) There wasn't really a dull moment in the film, and while most Marvel films focus on a lot of action, and a little bit of comedy, this had both. Groot and Rocket stole the show for my kids, but as an ensemble I thought they were amazing all around. The soundtrack was also very good. The music wasn't overly modern, but it was modern enough that every age group could get a kick out of it. And I have a soft spot for mix tapes, they're virtually nonexistent now, so it was cool to see one in a movie today. I'm ready for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 :) I would recommend this movie to everyone, its a must see. I know some people compared it to Star Wars, but I didn't really catch that vibe.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-



Okay, so I wasn't too sure I wanted to see this. I love the old Ninja Turtles cartoon. I love the old Ninja Turtles live action movies. I love the old Ninja Turtles rap done by Vanilla Ice. But I have kids that like the new Ninja Turtles cartoon and who now like the new Ninja Turtle movie. *sigh* The only super positive thing I have to say about this movie is that Michael Bay used the turtles' full  names. He didn't abbreviate them like the cartoon does, you know, because kids today are too stupid to say Donatello, Michelangelo, Leonardo and Raphael. Anyway, this movie is a huge love letter to Megan Fox, made Shredder look like something the Power Rangers would fight and didn't utilize Will Arnett like at all. He kind of just stood there, one more admirer for Megan Fox. Yuck. Also, you could tell that they were hoping you would see the movie in 3D, because it was obviously shot for 3D (if that makes sense). Like with any remake though, there were changes (a lot of them, in this case), and fans of the original will probably not be receptive to them. I will say, that for all the product placement and change, it wasn't quite the travesty I thought it was going to be. And, it provided my husband and I the perfect opportunity to show our children the original TMNT movies, which they also enjoyed (even though they said the turtles looked weird lol).


I'm still hoping to see the new Transformers and The Purge: Anarchy (I think they've made their way to the dollar theaters by now). My husband is my movie-going companion, but he saw those movies with other people, so now I need to find my way to the theater alone *eek*. Or maybe just wait until I can rent them, I don't know. What are your thoughts? Theater or wait to rent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!