Thursday, January 14, 2016

Quests- Maui,Hawaii/The Alcohol

While in Maui, we visited a brewery, a distillery and a winery. I'm not much of a drinker anymore (and I've never liked beer), so I was a little leery of these destinations. But they all turned out to be great experiences, and I found some wine and beer that didn't leave me gagging :)

Maui Brewing Company:
We toured the Maui Brewing Company as part of my father-in-law's birthday celebration. We missed our initial tour time, but they placed us into the next one with no problems. While we waited for our tour to being, we ordered drinks. As I mentioned above, I do not like beer! I never have. But I tried the Mana Wheat. As described on their site:

An unfiltered, freshly handcrafted American-style Wheat infused with Maui Gold Pineapple. Our crisp and refreshing wheat ale is lightly hopped to allow the fruity sweetness of the pineapple to shine. The yeast stays in suspension making the ale traditionally cloudy.

ABV 5.5 | IBU 18


It was pretty good, as far as beer goes. I couldn't finish though, so I had to pass it around the table. My husband and father-in-law got these things called flights (I think), so they got to sample six beers a piece. My sister-in-law tried their root beer (which is delicious!) and I can't remember what my mother-in-law got. 
The tour wasn't very long (the facility is really small), but it was fun and the tour guide was cool. At the end of it, you do a tasting and I drank all three without complaint (and one of them was really nasty!). You get to keep your tasting cup and they give you a token for a free drink. I used mine on a root beer. 


We went here right after the brewery, so it might seem like we're alcoholics, but that's just how it worked out. This place was beautiful! They make Ocean Vodka and Deep Island Rum. Even though this facility was also small, the tour went a little longer because everything was spread out (and our tour guide talked a lot lol).They have a bunch of different types of sugar cane they use to make their products, and they're organic if that's a thing for you. There was a tasting at the end of this tour, but they hardly gave you anything to try! Now, I realize that this is more, uh, spirited than beer, but I can actually drink vodka and rum, so it was a little disappointing. You also got a cute shot glass at the end of the tour. 
This little kitty lives there. It made me miss my cat!


The winery was so pretty. It had at one time been a ranch, and even a vacation spot for the Hawaiian King way back in the day. At the start of the tour, they give you a taste of Lokelani Rose Wine, it was good. I don't know a darn thing about wine though, so it could be garbage (I don't think so though. My SIL drinks wine, and she liked it). Some people were swilling it around their glasses and stuff. I just drank it. That's how I roll. Anyway, this tour was the longest of the three, I think because everything was very spread out here. There was also a lot of history involved with the property, and they talked a lot about it. After this tour, we got to taste three wines of our choosing. I chose the Hula O Maui, Maui Splash and Framboise. All the wines I chose were flavored or dessert wines, and the Framboise was so sweet and good, it really felt like I was drinking a raspberry dessert. The other two were both pineapple wines, and they were good too. Added bonus, I had a tiny bottle of Stella Rosa Stella Pink in my fridge that I had tried once before and was a little on the fence about. I reopened it after coming home and had a new appreciation for it!

So those are my alcohol related tours. Tomorrow I'll be concluding my posts about Maui with some other things to do while there. Don't forget to check out yesterday's post all about food!

**All photos were taken by me. If you use them, please credit. Thank you!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!