Saturday, December 7, 2013

Skills to Pay the Bills: (Mostly) Handmade Advent Calendars

Boy, you know that saying, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade? Well, I could make a lemonade distribution center with all the lemons life has been throwing at me lately. I finally feel well enough to sit here and type out this post, that I had originally wanted to do earlier. I mean, Advent calendars are for Christmas countdowns, and here we are, already seven days into December. If anything, maybe it will inspire you to do a smaller countdown (which I may do with my children), or its something to keep in the back of your head for next Christmas. I love Advent calendars, even though I wasn't raised particularly religious. It was always fun to pop out a little piece of chocolate as I counted down Santa's arrival. I've bought them in the past for my kids, but my daughter isn't a huge chocolate fan, and my son isn't as impressed with candy as he used to be (which is good)- so I didn't buy any this year. But I did see a few blog posts about homemade Advent calendars that I thought were so cool, and I thought I'd share them with you.

The first one is from Kaelah at Little Chief Honeybee. I really admire her blog and also how well she's done at being a great stepmom to Toby (stepping into a parenting role is no easy task). She makes me want to do more creative things for my children!

This one is from Kristin at rukristin. Its an Advent calendar filled of reasons why you love your spouse. This idea can easily translate into why you love your children. So clever.

This is from a post last year on A Beautiful Mess, but still completely relevant. Its an Advent tree!

Also from A Beautiful Mess is this year's Advent calendar. This is so adorable. 
I love the handmade envelopes.

And if these aren't enough inspiration, there's an e-book to help you out!
Found through Skunkboy, you can purchase it here.


Also, this isn't at all handmade, but I love this Advent calendar stocking from Pottery Barn Kids.
Buy it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your words of wisdom. Don't freak out if you don't see your comment right away, I do moderate :) Thanks!